Not sure on something?

Ask us a question >

Close popups


Mileage - What's claimable? New simplified rules - Crowther Image

Business mileage under the simplified expenses rule

Self-employed individuals

The mileage rate allowance is designed to cover all running costs such as fuel, insurance, road tax, MOT, servicing and repairs.

It is only available for qualifying journeys, that are wholly and exclusively for business purposes. It is not available for private journeys including travel between home and work.

HMRC’s Approved Mileage Allowance Payments (AMAP’s) are listed below:-

Tax: rates per business mile

Type of vehicle First 10,000 miles Above 10,000 miles
Cars and vans 45p 25p
Motorcycles 24p 24p
Bikes 20p 20p

N.B. You can’t claim simplified expenses for vehicles you’ve already claimed capital allowances for

A detailed record must be maintained to support any claims made. What should your mileage log include?

  • Date of the journey
  • Reason for the journey
  • The start point and destination (postcode to postcode)
  • The total miles travelled
  • Mileage rate used


Employees are also allowed to claim the AMAP’s on qualifying journeys.

If the employer pays below the AMAP rate the employee can claim income tax relief on the shortfall using a P87 form.

You have four years from the end of the tax year to make a claim; so, for 2017/18, you must make a claim by 5 April 2022.

However if the employer pays above the AMAP’s this would need to be reported on a P11D as a Benefit in Kind.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign up to our newsletter

Enter your email below to sign up to our newsletter

How we handle your data

Details which you provide here will not be shared with anyone outside of Crowther Accountants and will be kept in a safe and secure location. You may request your personal data to be removed at any time.

We may obtain data from carefully selected third parties, including our clients. For more information read our privacy policy.