Not sure on something?

Ask us a question >

Close popups

Amendments to submitted tax returns

← Back to Index

An individual can amend a tax return by notifying HMRC at any time after sending in the return up to 12 months following the statutory filing date. The statutory filing date is the later of the 31 January filing date for electronic returns and three months from the date the return was issued.

Where an error is discovered after the time limit for an amendment has passed, a claim for overpayment relief may be made for an individual where the error has resulted in an overpayment of tax. A claim for overpayment relief may be made no later than four years after the end of the tax year concerned.

Sign up to our newsletter

Enter your email below to sign up to our newsletter

How we handle your data

Details which you provide here will not be shared with anyone outside of Crowther Accountants and will be kept in a safe and secure location. You may request your personal data to be removed at any time.

We may obtain data from carefully selected third parties, including our clients. For more information read our privacy policy.